Welcome

This blog records my transition from the Churches of Christ to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Loving People Regardless of What They Do or How They Respond

"Love your enemies, and pray for those that persecute you" (Matt 5:44)

"This love...intuitively and spontaneously dictates the doing of good to others, whether they do good or evil.  It operates independently of external influences and being in its nature absolutely unselfish, is not affected by the merit or demerit of its objects.  It does not inquire, "Am I loved? Have I been benefited?  Have my merits been appreciated?  Shall I be blessed in return?  Or am I hated, injured, cursed and condemned?" Whether others love or hate, bless or curse, benefit or injure, it says, "I will do right; I will love still; I will bless; I will never injure even the most injurious; I will overcome evil with good."  Therefore its goodness is not measured by or adjusted to the goodness of others, but ever finds in itself a sufficient reason for doing good and nothing but good to all moral agents." 

--Adin Ballou, Christ Non-Resistance

No comments:

Unique Users

Hits