1) Nonviolence is resistance to evil and oppression. It is a human (and humane) way to fight.
2) Nonviolence does not seek to defeat or humiliate the opponent, but to win his/her friendship and understanding.
3) The nonviolent method is an attack on the forces of evil rather than against persons doing the evil. It seeks to defeat the evil and not the persons doing the evil and injustice.
4) Nonviolence means willingness to accept suffering without retaliation.
5) The nonviolent resister avoids both external physical and internal spiritual violence - not only refusing to shoot or strike, but also to hate, an opponent. The ethic of real love is at the center of nonviolence.
6) The nonviolent resister has a deep faith in the future, and believes that the forces in the universe are ultimately on the side of justice.
--Stride Towards Freedom: The Montgomery Circle